(Interview in the website of iefimerida.gr)
The advancement of Medicine in the last years along with the explosion in the field of biotechnology, has drawn the attention of the medical world to a rapidly developing medical specialty, that is called Regenerative Medicine.
The aim is the extended healthy longevity through the procedure of creating living, functional human tissues for the repair, replacement of tissues or the functioning of organs that have been reduced or lost due to age, disease, damage or relative abnormalities.
Therefore it is inevitable to include on the above the countless orthopedics conditions, where Regenerative Orthopedics aims to the biological therapy of the most common orthopedical injuries and chronic conditions, with the usage of autologous adult stem cells and other biological factors aiming to the rebuilding and replacement of the organs of the muscolosckeletal, through biological scaffolds and cells from the same donor.
The adults stem cells are received from the adult tissue and are found in the majority of tissue types (bone marrow, fat, synovial membranes), and act as repairing cells for our body, by compensating and maintaining its organs and tissues. Stem cells present a special interest in clinical action of Orthopedics, because besides their ability to regenerate, meaning to be divided and then multiply in number, they can differentiate in multiple types of cells and therefore to chondrocytes (cells of the cartilage) that has been singly or extensively damaged to osteoarthritis, activate the internal regeneration mechanisms, while at the same time have anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties.
The stem cells used for the treatment of cartilage injuries and osteoarthritis may come from the bone marrow or fat. However, it is preferred if they come from the bone marrow, because it has been proved that these cells are more efficient for the treatment of cartilage damage. The reason is that bone marrow stem cells have already begun to differentiate to precursor chondrocytes and therefore have a higher ability of repairing cartilage damages.
Moreover, bone marrow includes other cells (such as osteochondroreticular cells) that have a very important action for the repair of orthopedic damages. The preparation of stem cells becomes with new, improved methods, through a procedure of minimal handling of biological material, without other mixtures, according to European directives. Our method allows the rapid isolation of stem cells that are more efficient for the treatment of cartilage damages and absolutely safe since they are autologous.
In the Clinic of Regenerative & Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery of IASO GENERAL, we follow an innovative combined biological procedure, not only for the Greek but also for the European reality and it basically consists of 3 stages (3A) :
- The joint activation, in order to create the perfect environment for the application of cellular treatment.
- The application of the cellular treatment through the injection of autologous stem cells, preferably of bone marrow (Stem Cell application).
- The acceleration of stem cells following their injection, in order to achieve the desirable therapeutic outcome.
Various factors, such as the type and the amount of the biological material used in each stage (stem cells and active biomolecules), as well as the application time of each stage of the treatment have been optimized in order for the whole procedure to be as effective and painless as possible for the patient.
It must be stressed that each case is different. The final outcome of the treatment depends not only on the type and size of the damage, but also on the age and the physical condition of the patient. It is therefore important that the medical and scientific team of the Clinic should examine each case separately and decide on the proper protocol that must be followed in order to achieve as rapidly as it can the accurate repair of the damage.
The treatment with adult stem cells offers many advantages such as
- It is completely autologous (does not have any blending with chemical or pharmaceutical substances), therefore their application under specific indications is ABSOLUTELY SAFE,
- it can delay and/or provoke a significant surgery,
- has minimal and/or no complications, since there is no possibility of graft rejection,
- it is bloodless and painless,
- does not require hospitalization,
- the patient moves promptly and returns rapidly and safely to his/her daily activities,
- does not need to stay in bed,
- does not require extended physiotherapy protocols and
- is promptly repeatable, if the outcome does not sufficiently satisfy the patient.
- There are no moral or religious matters for it’s procedure.